Mad House Helsinki will leave Teurastamo at the end of this year. In 2022, we will continue our work as NoMad House Helsinki with an itinerant programme throughout the city.
We are inviting artists to think about audiences they would like to meet but have struggled to reach. Would the encounter with specific participants support your practice, research, or existing works? What should the audience of your NoMad House proposal share in common?
We encourage you to reflect on a common thread that could bring participants together. Perhaps they share a similar interest, experience or knowledge: possibilities are endless, what matters is that you find a concrete thread that makes sense to you and your work. However, keep in mind that potential audiences should be reachable within the Helsinki Metropolitan Area.
For each selected proposal, our team will connect artists with their desired audience and find a location that can welcome both audience members and the piece. We will create a temporal arch of performances and events that will guide us through different places in Helsinki between April and October 2022.
We are looking for a diversity of projects from artists based in Finland, and we welcome candidates of all genders, ages, and backgrounds. Applicants may be at any point in their careers, and proposals can consist of performances, workshops, lectures, installations, one-on-one pieces, durational works or any artistic expression that reflects the richness of live art.
This year, our curatorial team doesn’t speak Finnish, so we kindly ask you to submit your application in English. However, there are no restrictions concerning the language of your piece.
What we offer
- Curatorial and production support: we will reach the target audience and find a location for the piece. Selected proposals and the production process will be discussed with NoMad House. The goal is to find a way to cooperate and accompany artists in their needs while respecting our material constraints.
- Communication and documentation support.
- Basic technical support depending on the location and the needs of the piece.
- Financial support: artists will receive a fee of 1.500€ (solo artists) or 2.500€ (working groups) to show their work twice.
- Material costs: 200€
- Refreshments after the performance (if applicable)
How to apply
To apply, please submit your application via the online form by December 13th at 23:00 (EET time).
You will need to indicate:
- Your contact information.
- A brief description of your project and whether it is a new or existing production.
- Your target audience and why you wish to encounter them.
- Your availabilities between April and October 2022.
- Technical needs or requirements.
- Optional attachments: three images or links.
NoMad House will be curated and coordinated by Tea Andreoletti and Daniela Pascual together with the board of Mad House. We will select a maximum of seven artists or working groups. In making our choices, we will value the clarity and concreteness of proposals, and how they relate to their target audience. The selection will also take into account how proposals could speak to each other, contributing to a diverse programme that will foster new encounters and expand Mad House’s outreach in the city.
Selected applicants will be informed by the end of January 2022.
Please note the outcome of the selection is not an evaluation of your artistic practice.
Tea Andreoletti, Daniela Pascual, and the team of Mad House Helsinki